Saturday 14 February 2009

Horse-Shoe Sky

Later post than usual; it’s the weekend! Huzzah, and Happy Valentine’s Day from all of SME! Today we have a special Valentine’s treat for you lot (don’t we spoil you?). We’ve spent time buying records with the guy behind one of our favourite Fresh Air shows, and we thought we’d let you guys know all about it.

Who are you?

I’m Henry Lacey Ivry. I’m 5’7”, weigh 122lbs, have brown hair and brown eyes and am of Jewish denomination. I’m a second year University of Edinburgh student pursuing a joint honours degree in English Literature and Philosophy. I enjoy conversation, sparkling water, coffee with milk, tuna steaks, guacamole, and beer and bitches. I also have a fondness for The Hills on MTV and Law and Order. Oh, I’m 20 years of age, and from the Bay Area of California.

What’s the show called?

It’s called Horse-Shoe Sky, derived from the song “A Sky for Shoeing Horses Under” by Why?. I think it sounds obscure enough to be meaningful.

What’s the big deal?

I guess my brief manifesto would be that I’m playing progressive open minded alternative hip-hop. It’s mainly experimental hip-hop music with a focus in the anticon. collective (a Bay Area independent record label) but there are no real constraints. Coming from the Bay Area I was blessed growing up surrounded by so much good music, especially hip-hop. Because of this exposure at home I just wanted to keep it going across the pond, so I thought a radio show was a good way to get the music out, all the way from California.

What can we expect to hear?

All kinds of material from the anticon. collective, including Odd Nosdam, Pedestrian, and Why?, as well as stuff from Astronautalis, Subtle, and Sage Francis. I’ll also be playing some instrumental odd and ends from acts like Cut Chemist and Jel.

When can we hear it?

It’s on Saturday, 12am – 1am.

Give us a taste of your show.

I’d like to think this video sums it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDHR2OY5h8

We’re thinking about doing one profile every week, but we’re scared we may run out of time so it may be more. Just keep an open mind.

Right, we’re off to sober up and go for unlimited bowling. Hell yeah. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment